- Level surface: FarmBot requires a perfectly level garden bed. A slanted garden bed will result in motor stalls that prevent the device from performing its job.
- Excellent WiFi: Being a constrained real-time system, FarmBot has higher WiFi quality requirements than consumer-grade products. Poor WiFi and misconfigured security software will prevent FarmBot from connecting properly and is the leading cause of setup problems for new users. Please contact FarmBot support prior to purchase if you are unsure of the network's ability to support a device.
- Basic computer skills. FarmBot requires some computer and mechanical skills to set up and operate. FarmBot provides customers with 1-on-1 support, but limitations apply (see below).
FarmBot requires basic computer and mechanical skills to install and operate. The majority of our customers do not require any technical support and are able to install FarmBot using the provided online materials (see below). Initial setup will require several hours of configuration and learning to become completely operational. Please schedule adequate time to learn about the software and hardware systems. FarmBot is extremely customizable. We cannot provide support to customers that use unofficial parts or intend to use the device in ways it was not designed to operate.
We provide limited troubleshooting and technical support for customers that require extra help with their installation. Free support is limited to 3 hours (180 minutes). Support is non-transferrable and expires 24 months after purchase of a kit. Additional support time may be purchased beyond the three hours of free support at a rate of $100 an hour.
DIY Community Members:
FarmBot Inc is in full support of the DIY community building custom bots, making modifications, and using our open-source plans in new and different ways. That’s why we put in extensive effort to provide high quality documentation for everything we do.
However, we can only provide detailed technical support to our full-kit customers. The reasons we cannot provide technical support to DIY builders is because:
- We are a very small team and need to prioritize our paying customers first. Our paying customers are who fund the development of this technology.
- It is very difficult to provide support to people who are using combinations of parts that we have never tested before and do not have detailed information about. For example, if someone purchases a Farmduino electronics board from FarmBot Inc, but then they use it with their own stepper motors, homemade cables, and a random power supply, we are simply not in a position to help troubleshoot problems because we cannot be sure the other components are compatible or built correctly.
Resources for New Users:
- Official Software Documentation
- FarmBot Genesis Hardware Documentation
- FarmBot Express Hardware Documentation
- FarmBot Community Forum - The FarmBot forum is a community portal where FarmBot customers can share their work and help other users solve common problems. Please note that not all forum users are FarmBot employees.